Risha Engineering was retained to provide design through construction period services for the new 67,000 square foot retail and medical office in El Segundo, CA. The original scope includes: a 28,00 SF one-story market with rooftop parking and cart area canopy; an 11,000 SF one-story retail building; a 4,000 SF restaurant; and, a 20,000 SF two-story medical office building. The buildings are all designed to be simple and modern architecturally, with no tower elements.
The restaurant and retails spaces are Type V with wood framing and steel support framing. The lateral system is wood panel shear walls with steel moment frames.
The market structure supports parking loads at the roof level and are of reinforced concrete filled metal deck roof supported by structural steel framing. Braced frames and concrete tilt-up walls serve as the lateral system for the market structure. Elevator design, including the pit and guardrails, were required for rooftop parking access. The market structure will also contain an approximately 1,000 SF mechanical mezzanine.
The construction type for the MOB will be concrete tilt-up with wood framed roofs and floors and interior shear walls or braced frames, and also features an elevator.
Further design includes:
- Structural assistance for the design of standard architectural items.
- Technical support for the selection of light gage wall systems as required.
- Design of stair and connection to each floor, as well as the Lobby and Exit stairs using conventional channel stringers, landings and supports.
- Eight foot high free-standing masonry screen walls.
- Light pole foundations.
- Decorative steel fence posts, rails and fence post foundations to match the adjacent fences on site.
- Trash enclosure with cover using a simple, utilitarian design.
- Metal stud corridor partitions and other core partitions.
- Details related to suspended ceiling supports, including hanger wires, splay wires, compression struts and attachments to the building structure.
- Concrete work related to the project including site walls, fences, exterior stairs, ramps, entrance canopies, retaining walls, and exterior railing connections; these items were coordinated with the architect and the civil consultant.
El Segundo, California
Owner: Continental Development Corporation and Mar Ventures, Inc.
Architect: Retail Design Collaborative